- Primary English
- Primary drama
- Raising standards in boys’ writing in KS2
- EAL learners – engagement in English in KS2
- Language Structures – improving children’s academic language
SCHOOL, CURRENT ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Sarah Merchant’s particular professional interests include: working towards equity in English; using high-quality children’s books in order to create life-long readers; teaching reading; using ‘drama into writing’ and putting grammar into writing. She is English Co-ordinator and Phase Leader in a large, urban, multi-cultural school in Ipswich, with 54% of children learning English as an additional language. Sarah has taught for 18 years, currently teaches year 6 and oversees several teaching groups in maths and English (years 5 and 6), enabling disadvantaged learners to make further progress with their studies.
Sarah`s particular professional interests include:
- Implementing Language Structures (a Tower Hamlets- based project, enabling children to use academic English) in 19 schools across the east of England
- Creating reading and writing policies that are working documents within a school
- Using ‘Reading Advocates’ in school
- Implementing an inclusive whole-school reading programme, putting high-quality texts at the core of the curriculum
If you feel that Sarah can assist you and your school, we would be delighted to discuss this with you. Please contact us initially by email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange a mutually convenient time to telephone you.